Empty worktable with a kegerator and unfinished walls. An empty brew room waiting for the electric brewing system to be built.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Empty brew room waiting for an electric brewery.

I’ve planned for a long time to make a transition to electric brewing. Propane is expensive and you have to refill the canisters constantly, especially when using a very high BTU burner. In addition, with kids around, propane can be pretty dangerous.

Even without kids around, I’ve seen some pretty scary accidents. Once, at a big brew day out at the homebrewery in Ozark, Missouri, I watched someone melt the leg on their burner enough that it gave out under the weight of the kettle, pouring scalding hot wort all over the ground. Luckily, no one was hurt, but it was a dangerous, sudden, thing, and startled quite a few people.

At any rate, I have wanted to make the transition to electric brewing for a long time. I have even had a 220 put into the garage at each of the last 2 houses I lived at for this reason, but I’ve never completed the transition to electric brewing. I told myself for a long time that it was because of a lack of time or money, but those excuses are starting to get pretty thin.

The real reason is because I didn’t prioritize it. I could always brew with propane if I wanted to brew, or I could go out to my dad’s house and brew on his electric system if I want to (he has a very nice Blichmann Breweasy setup).

I have other reasons, too, but they are all pretty crappy. One of them is because I didn’t know whether I should use this Brewpi Spark I bought years ago or if I should just go with hardware switches and a temp controller to manually control things. The Brewpi is fancy as hell and would be fun, but it’s also complicated to learn, I think, and it’s a self-introduced hurdle between me and brewing my first all-electric batch. I’m a software engineer, so it appeals to me to be able to put the Brewpi data up somewhere on the web for nerd cred.

Anyway, today I am re-launching this project for myself in a new way. I’m going to make it a priority and work to make a concrete plan on how to get the brewery running, what bite-sized pieces I can break it into, and then work to make progress every week until the first batch is brewed. The first step today is to make the plan.

I’ll keep you posted.